Sunday, December 10, 2006

BALLS!

When I was a kid I was involved in some sort of an accident every second or third day. I remember my father once telling me that he had spent more on doctors than he did for my education. What he also told me was that as I grow up and start calming down a little the frequency of these mishaps will go down. He was wrong.

I do admit that I have almost stopped the ‘let’s-find-out-if-that-hurts’ experiments. But trouble somehow has a way of catching up with me. I am convinced that even if I managed to escape to an alternate universe, found a planet conducive to life, went to its farthest reaches, dug a hole, sat inside, covered it up, I would end up sitting on a porcupine.

The thing is it takes very little to excite me.

Colleague: “There’s a brand new BMW 7 Series in the parking lot.”
Me: “Are you serious?”

Walk. Pace. Run. Smack!
Colleague: “Ouch! That must’ve hurt.”
Me: “It really does.”
Colleague: “But how could you have missed the glass door?”

When it comes to sports it is a completely different matter. The kind of injuries that I have sustained while playing, will make Mike Tyson shiver like a little pup on a cold winter night. Although, for now I will concentrate on one isolated incident.

Every evening, after work, I and a whole bunch of people from my office go to play cricket. And some girls from the adjoining office come to play basketball ;-)

We arrive at the pitch with all the gusto of the Indian team. Arms swinging. Spot jogging. Sprinting. Stretching. While all this is going on someone grabs a bat. Someone grabs a ball and they start going at each other. In the meanwhile, for the benefit of the ladies, I light up a cigarette, assume a supervisory position (menial things like warming up etc. don’t really appeal to me.) And just keep an eye on the proceedings.

Now picture this – I am standing directly behind the bowler. He bowls a nasty one. The batsman hits an equally nasty shot. My head turns in the direction of the batsman. I can see the bowler ducking. A six-foot-three-inch-tall man comes prancing like a 5-year-old girl wearing new frock. Misses. And suddenly, I can see an object which is constantly becoming bigger.

“Hey that looks so cool!”
“Uh-oh! Wait a minute”
POW!!

In spite of the fact that a ball – traveling at no less than 5,000 km/h, has just hit me smack in the eye I can see several tweety birds flying around me. I take a few drunken steps. Trace a circle and fall down. Someone asks me if I am alright. If I could see I would’ve punched him in the eye and asked him the same question.

I learn quickly :) It only took me one game to discover that it is almost impossible to play cricket with a busted eye. And I decided to head back home. While driving back home I also discovered that a busted eye means no depth perception. A few scraped bumpers and many wildly gesticulating Jats later I finally reach home.

TING-TONG

I stand there grinning at the anticipation of some sympathy from my mother. She opens the door. I wouldn’t quite say her jaw dropped to the floor but a certain amount of disbelief was apparent on her face. She opens the door. This is the moment she is going to burst into tears and say “Oh! Mera beta. Kya hua?”

“The ice is in the refrigerator.” And she walks back to the couch to continue watching the damned K series.

That’s my mother. She takes care of me everyday. Makes sure my clothes are ready in the morning. Prepares dinner for me every night. But when I bust an eye she doesn’t bat an eyelid. This is a strange, strange world we live in.

Thankfully, the evening wasn’t a complete disaster. Through a fortunate turn of events I ended up at a pub and a couple of beers later the pain of the world and my eye didn’t seem to be much of a bother anymore.

11 comments:

Zee said...

despite having heard the story fresh off the press....... i still loved the post!!!! shows 2 things. 1. u're a great story teller...hence in the right profession!!!! 2. ur life is hilarious!!! And the joke is always on you!
How's the porcupine treating you?

i said...

It is now my new best friend :-)

Unknown said...

now i know....why u got the black eye.Obviously u relaised it the miniscule of a second before it hit you...prior to that u were busy empiring the ladies basketball game ;)

n dont forget the fabulous company other than the beer and stuff...that helped you recover the black eye. I am sure i'll get support on this one from some of our great friends

SIM said...

lol..plz don't hate me for this but in the middle of a busy workday, surrounded by colleagues who are furiously going click-clang on the keyboard (pretending to work), i burst out laughing reading ur post. but ouch! that must've heard :)

Still Searching said...

Hehehe.. thats too funny.. your post had me smiling and laughing repeatedly from beg to end.. obv eliciting a lot of stares from my colleagues.. but great read on a really really hectic and busy day.. wow u actually play cricket everyday after work? damn, i like your office!

i said...

@ruchika: I doubt the 'great friends' have read the post but yes the company and Monique helped quite a bit.

@serendipity: I am glad my pain at least brought cheer to someone's day :-)

@ruchika: Just as evidence that destiny works against me; the day I put up this post all of us merrily went to the cricket ground. And guess what; IT'S BEEN LOCKED. I have to get some sort of a havan done.

stoob said...

I had warned you there was something in the air...do not walk on to the pitch...it wouldn't bode well!
But then...even two black eyes are better than artwork aren't they. At least I think so! ;)
Good 'un.

arpana said...

hmmm , greetings to a fellow accident prone creature :)

jairaj said...

Hilarious!

NITHIN RAMACHANDRAN said...

hehe....man ...love it...awesome ..been laughing like a jackass in office...reading that up....

well guess ive got inspiration to write some of my sporty escapades...

nice blog :)

NITHIN RAMACHANDRAN said...

THank god for beer.....washes away all the pain....


great great post man....ive been laughin my ass of over it ...

keep posting...